Welker & Associates Inc. provides two credit counselling sessions, as required under the Bankruptcy Insolvency Act, to aid in the financial rebuilding process, for everyone filing personal bankruptcy or making a consumer proposal.
Be wary of fraudulent credit counsellors.
Although some credit counselling companies are legitimate, there are many fraudulent credit counsellors who charge high fees, provide little or no service and warn against discussing your money problems with a licensed insolvency trustee.
A credit counsellor has no greater ability to negotiate with your creditors than you do. The credit counselling industry is unregulated and anyone can claim to be a credit counsellor.
How to spot a legitimate credit counsellor:
- Not-for-profit United Way sponsored agencies
- Never charge fees upfront
- Accredited by the Ontario Association of Credit Counselling Services (OACCS)
- Recommend reviewing your situation with a licensed trustee in bankruptcy
- No cost referral for you to meet with a licensed insolvency trustee
Over the years, we have developed relationships with credit counsellors across Ontario. Find a trusted credit counsellor in your area.
Credit counsellors CAN help you by:
- Providing budgeting and money management advice
- Filing a debt management plan
- Helping you communicate with your creditors
Credit counsellors CANNOT help you to:
- File a consumer proposal
- Deal with government debts
- Compromise the total amount that you owe
- Stop, by legislation, creditors from garnisheeing your wages
Welker & Associates provides free initial consultations. Before you sign anything with a credit counsellor, you should understand all of your options and review your situation with a licensed insolvency trustee.